Terminal; and IANAD Stuff

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 21 06:23:01 CET 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:20:17 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
wrote:

> Jud wrote:
>
>> - Feature creep is the enemy.  Thus, though I love Terminal, my
>> sentiment would be to either substitute it for xfterm4 or leave it
>> separate (and perhaps xfterm4 as well).  Don't have more than one
>> terminal emulator as part of the XFCE package - that way lies GNOME/KDE.
>>
> Just FYI: xfterm4 isn't a terminal emulator; it's just a script that
> runs $TERMCMD, or, failing that, xterm.  So Xfce doesn't actually
> include a terminal in its core.  Not sure if that changes your
> opinion/recommendation as to whether or not to include Terminal, but I
> thought I'd point this out.

Ah, thanks for correcting my misimpression.  Having a single terminal
emulator doesn't strike me as overload, so whatever the devs' preference
is sounds fine even to a light-and-fast guy like me.

[snip]
> Yeah, we're missing a lot of geek-mode documentation.  We could really
> use some help here.  Perhaps it could start out as simple as someone
> taking it upon themselves to watch the mailing lists for questions like
> these, and when an answer comes up that involves a hidden pref, or
> something in a config file, document it and stick it on the web
> somewhere.  Eventually it would be nice to have a list of all config
> files and what each config entry does, but a FAQ-like document would be
> a nice start.

The way my life is going is typified by the fact that I'm typing this
after midnight, so there'll be about 3 1/2 hours sleep before waking up at
4 am to drive an hour to work.  But if I ever get any time, I'd love to
give back by helping with some docs for non-technical users (only kind I
can do, since I am one:).

Jud