still have not understood how to define default programs

Ross Laird ross at rosslaird.info
Wed Jan 19 18:34:23 CET 2005

Hi Christian;

> I am searching for a way to define my default web-browser,
> email-client, filemanager ...
> Please can someone explain how to do this

If you are on Debian, you can set your default browser environment using
this command entered from a root console:

 update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

This should give you a few choices (Galeon, Firefox, Mozilla, whatever).
Choose the one you want. You will probably have to reload your x session
to see the results.

The default email client can be set in a number of ways: by changing
what the panel loads when you click on the mail icon (mine loads
"mozilla-thunderbird", for example), or by changing what the browser
loads when you click on a mailto link in a web page (this varies by
browser, but if you use Firefox, one way is to use the launchy
extension). Also, you may find it useful to change the "preferred
applications" settings in gnome. I can't remember how to start this app
in xfce, but in Gnome you go to Desktop Preferences, Advanced (I think)
and Preferred Applications. This sets the browser and email applications
for gnome packages (and these settings might be used by gnome packages
running in xfce).

Finally, I have set my default file manager (nautilus, xffm, rox) simply
on the xfce panel (I'm using xffm): right-click on the file manager
icon, choose properties, and enter the command (just "xffm", without the
quotes, if you want the default xfce file manager. If you like nautilus,
you can start it up by typing alt-f2, then entering nautilus
--no-browser (I think, but that may not be quite right). This will
change your xfce background to the gnome background and will also put
gnome icons on your desktop. There are a few forum postings about this
over at forum.xfce.org.

Hope some of this helps. I am not an expert, but have found a few useful
tips (mostly on the xfce forums).

Ross