Changing background programatically

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 18 23:16:59 CET 2005

Alberto Manuel Brandao Simoes wrote:

> I would like to have a way to change the background of xfce using
> another program.

There's a post about this that I made some time ago; I'm not sure if it
was on xfce4-dev or xfce.  Please search the archives.  The short
summary is that you want to create a backdrop list, and put just the
single backdrop in it that you want.  Then change backdrops by using a
script to modify the backdrop list file, and then run 'xfdesktop
-reload'.  Note that the list file *must* have the comment on the first
line, otherwise it won't be recognised as a backdrop list.

    -Brian