"Verifying DNS setting" message during startup of Xfce

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 18 12:41:38 CET 2005

jan wrote:

>Hey!
>
>I thought that once I'm connected via DHCP and my computer name is
>"laura" I should be able to ping my computer:
>
>$ ping laura
>
>and above command should be pinging IP address received via DHCP ...
>should it work like this or should not ? I think long ago whne I was
>using Windows it was working like that.

no, the above command should be pinging whatever it resolves to.  and
without an entry in /etc/hosts, it won't resolve to anything.
non-standard weirdo windows behavior isn't exactly the model we go by
here.  if you really need to know your IP address, use 'ifconfig'.  i
can't imagine that you'd need to ping yourself that often... or ever
(aside from network troubleshooting).

anyway, we're getting quite a bit OT.  just put 127.0.0.1 in, and all
will be fine.

    -brian