"Verifying DNS setting" message during startup of Xfce

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Tue Jan 18 12:19:19 CET 2005

jan wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer!
>
> One more question:
>
> Is it possible to "map" my computer name to the IP address I receive via
> DHCP automatically ? I'm wondering if there is a DHCP option which will
> cause DHCP daemon to add a line "laura IP_from_DHCP" to my /etc/hosts.

The normal way to do this would be for dhcp to update a DNS server
whenever it allocated an IP. It would also provide nameserver info to
the client and dhclient would update your /etc/resolve.conf

This has the added advantage that *all* dynamic addresses would then be
resolvable.

This is kinda OT for this list, isn't it?

-- b