A little help

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Jan 12 22:15:55 CET 2005

Erik Harrison wrote:
> All right all. I've done some very minimal C hacking in my time and
> now I need some help if someone has it.
>
> I've been hacking on the leafpad sources to make a text editor for
> Xfce (or, more accurately, using the Xfce libs to fix some
> deficiencies in leafpad). Now, I don't speak autotools or make, so
> I've been hacking on the generated Makefile to get my modified sources
> built, just while I get this thing together. Currently I get these
> sorts of errors:
>
> In file included from leafpad.h:38,
>                  from main.c:22:
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:25:44:
> libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4-config.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:27:33:
> libxfcegui4/dialogs.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:28:35:
> libxfcegui4/gtk_style.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:29:37:
> libxfcegui4/gtktoxevent.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:30:31:
> libxfcegui4/icons.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:31:33:
> libxfcegui4/libnetk.h: No such file or directory
> /usr/include/xfce4/libxfcegui4/libxfcegui4.h:32:41:
> libxfcegui4/preview_filesel.h: No such file or directory
>
> and so on.
>
> Can someone give me a magic pill to resolve these temporarily, just so
> I can test my changes? Clearly I'm setting a path wrong (or failing to
> override a path built by leafpads configure). Any ideas?

Quick and dirty and very temporary: check the output of 'pkg-config
--libs --cflags libxfcegui4-1.0' and add that to the gcc lines in the
makefile.

The real solution is to add the proper PKG_CONFIG_... directive to
configure.ac and to adapt the Makefile.am's to use libxfcegui4's CFLAGS
and link flags. For Xfce we use some autoconf magic coded by Benedikt --
it's in the m4 directory of all xfce modules. Maybe you could have a
look at that.