xfce in kiosks

Bob Ramsey robert-ramsey at uiowa.edu
Fri Jan 7 16:18:04 CET 2005

At 01:19 PM 12/30/2004, Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
>Le jeudi 30 décembre 2004 à 12:11 -0600, Bob Ramsey a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
>hi
> > I would like to set up some kiosk machines for students and use xfce as
> the
> > window manager because of its speed and appearance.  I've got things
> pretty
> > tightly locked down, but I'm having trouble changing the menu that pops up
> > when the user right clicks on the panel.  I don't want the users adding or
> > removing anything from the panel once I get it customized for them.
> >
>which version do you use? Xfce 4.2RC3 has Kiosk support.

I looked through the online manual for 4.2 and the documentation at
http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce4-session.html#xfsm-kiosk-mode
doesn't mention the panel.  According to this documentation, I can only
control:

CustomizeSplash

Whether or not the user is allowed to customize the splash screen.
CustomizeChooser

Whether or not the user is allowed to customize the session chooser settings.
CustomizeLogout

Whether or not the user is allowed to customize the logout settings.
CustomizeCompatibility

Whether or not the user is allowed to customize the compatibility settings
(KDE/Gnome compat)
CustomizeSecurity

Whether or not the user is allowed to customize the security settings. This
is one of the most IMPORTANT settings, since it prevents users (actually
libICE) from binding to a TCP port.
Shutdown

Whether or not the user is allowed to shutdown (reboot or poweroff) the
system. If a user lacks this capability the reboot and poweroff options in
the shutdown dialog will be greyed out.
Which isn't enough for me.  I'll see what the final documentation is when
4.2 is released.

Thanks,

Bob