How to start xscreensaver automatically when starting XFCE?

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Thu Jan 6 23:40:18 CET 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:42:12 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone said:

> Remco Lubbers wrote:
>
>  >On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:21:44 +0100, glmovzs said:
>  >
>  >>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:31:55AM -0700, Myles Green wrote:
>  >> > Nothing, except that if the user logs in via GDM (ie run level 2) then
>  >> > ~/.xinitrc doesn't get read but ~/.xsession does. The ~/.xinitrc file is
>  >> > only read when using startx from the console (ie run level 3). So the
>  >> > user needs to add that line to their ~/.xsession - of course adding it
>  >> > to both wouldn't harm anything.

>  >> That works! I added the command in ~/.xsession and that worked!

>  >Not for me :-(

>  >I also use gdm. If I don't use gdm, starting xfce from runlevel 3,
>  >xscreensaver gets started.
>  [snip]
>  >Anybody have a tip?

First of:
- I use Lunar-Linux, kernel 2.4.28, lunar patched, completely
up-to-date
- I use XFce 4.1.99.2
- I use gdm 2.6.0
- I'm not very grafically oriented ;-)

>  i generally don't advocate recommending the "normal" ~/.xinitrc or
>  ~/.xsession locations, as these may or may not get run depending on how
>  X is started, or which display manager you're using, or which session
>  entry you're using in your display manager, etc.  xfce has it's own
>  xinitrc file (~/.xfce4/xinitrc for xfce 4.0.x, must be executable; or
>  ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc for xfce 4.2rc).  4.2rc will automatically start
>  xscreensaver for you (in our xinitrc), so it shouldn't be an issue.  i
>  thought this was also the case for 4.0.x as well, but perhaps i'm
>  mistaken.  could it be a PATH-related issue?  perhaps xscreensaver is in
>  /usr/X11R6/bin, and that's not in the PATH.

bash-3.00$ locate xscreensaver | grep bin
/usr/bin/xscreensaver

And /usr/bin/ is in the path. I can start it from a terminal. And when
I start xfce from runlevel 3, xscreensaver does get started :?

>  at any rate, if you want to modify the default xinitrc that xfce uses to
>  start, copy it from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc (or /etc/xfce4/xinitrc for
>  4.0.x) to the location in your homedir i mentioned above, and edit
>  away.  for 4.0.x, this file must be executable.

bash-3.00$ ls -lh ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc
-rwxr-xr-x  1 remco users 3.3K Jan  6 23:32
/home/remco/.config/xfce4/xinitrc

I copied it from /usr/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc and took out the
suid-test....

Still no luck :-<

I'm lost!

Remco