How to start xscreensaver automatically when starting XFCE?

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Wed Jan 5 23:22:23 CET 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:21:44 +0100, glmovzs said:

> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:31:55AM -0700, Myles Green wrote:
>  > Nothing, except that if the user logs in via GDM (ie run level 2) then
>  > ~/.xinitrc doesn't get read but ~/.xsession does. The ~/.xinitrc file is
>  > only read when using startx from the console (ie run level 3). So the
>  > user needs to add that line to their ~/.xsession - of course adding it
>  > to both wouldn't harm anything.

>  That works! I added the command in ~/.xsession and that worked!

Not for me :-(

I also use gdm. If I don't use gdm, starting xfce from runlevel 3,
xscreensaver gets started.

Starting from gdm, I have to start xscreensaver manually, although my
~/.xsession says:
#!/bin/sh

if    [  -e /usr/bin/xscreensaver  ];  then
		     xscreensaver -no-splash &
fi

Which works fine from the commandline....

I dug a little deeper and came up with /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession, saying:
# This is SORT OF LIKE an X session, but not quite.  You get a command as the
# first argument (it could be multiple words, so run it with "eval").  As a
# special case, the command can be:
#  failsafe - Run an xterm only
#  default - Run the appropriate Xclients startup (see the code below)
#  custom - Run ~/.xsession and if that's not available run 'default'

So I would have to give the command custom to get my xsession to be
executed, but I dunno how *blush*.

I tried selecting xfce from the actions-menu in gdm, but no luck
there...

Anybody have a tip?

TIA

Remco