Terminal question.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 3 02:51:22 CET 2005

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

>OK, I liked the look of that xfce-goody Terminal and am trying it out. I
>do like it, but I seem to be stuck with the string:  bash-2.05b$
>If I open eterm I get: gardnerj at rhiannon gardnerj $
>Then if I open Terminal from eterm, I get the same thing eterm gives
>me.
>Terminal by itself doesn't seem to pay any attention to .bashrc.
>How do I edit that to work for Terminal?
>I'm probably missing something really stupid, but I can't figure it out.
>Can anyone help me with this?

this really has nothing to do with Terminal itself, and everything to do
with your shell.  as a workaround, you can enable "run command as login
shell" in Terminal's general preferences.  of course, this will make
'users' and 'who' show a rather large number of logged-in users, so you
may want to look at your shell's docs to see exactly what files get
processed for a non-login shell.  there was a really nice flowchart that
someone had done up about the process that explained it really well;
unfortunately i seem to have lost that URL...

    -brian