help with "Xfce menu" on panel

Jason Keltz jas at cs.yorku.ca
Thu Feb 17 17:43:29 CET 2005

Hi.

I have configured the "desktop" menu with most of the applications on
our system.  I have created an "Xfce Menu" on the panel which points at
the desktop menu file by default.  Now, users can get at all of the
applications through the desktop menu, or through the panel.  The idea
is that as the user updates their desktop menu, the panel menu updates
as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like this.  When the user
updates the desktop menu through the "Desktop" configuration in
settings, the global desktop menu is copied into the users
.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml directory.  However, the "Xfce menu" on
the panel still points to the global file in
sysdir/etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml.  Now, the user sees their changes
on the desktop menu, but not on the panel menu.  Since the menu.xml file
is only copied to the users home directory if they make changes to it, I
can't even just point it at the file in the users home directory because
it may not even be there.

Is there any way to tell the Xfce panel menu to look at local menu.xml
if it exists, and if it doesn't to look at the global one?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Jason Keltz
jas at cs.yorku.ca