Panel can't do shell expansion?

David Olbersen dave at toasterwaffles.com
Tue Feb 15 17:03:37 CET 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 at 7:34am, David Olbersen wrote:
>
> :How can I get a panel item with Command = "xterm `xtermbg`" to do The
> :Right Thing?
>
> Would "xterm -e xtermbg" have the same effect?

No. I must not have been clear about the intent. xtermbg prints out
command-line arguments to xterm, for example "-fg black -bg blue".

Using a regular shell, typing:
   > xterm `xtermbg`

Results in `xtermbg` being executed (let's say it returns '-fg black
-bg blue') and then xterm being run with the -fg black and -bg blue
options. Get it?

   > xterm `xtermbg`
        (xtermbg is expanded into '-fg black -bg blue')
     xterm -fg black -bg blue is executed

The whole point of my little xtermbg program is to pick these arguments
at random. Doing 'xterm -e xtermbg' would spawn an xterm which would
run xtermbg, which would print out some text, and then exit. That gets
me nowhere.

--
David Olbersen