Panel can't do shell expansion?

David Olbersen dave at toasterwaffles.com
Tue Feb 15 16:34:09 CET 2005

Hello all!

I've got a small program that's very similar to xcolorize -- it simply
outputs a background color for xterm.

   > xtermbg
   -fg black -bg NavajoWhite1

It's very nice to do something like this:

   alias xterm='xterm `xtermbg`'

That way each time an xterm launches it's got a different background
color. The problem I've run in to is that the panel doesn't seem to
expand shell meta-characters. It seems that it's passing `xtermbg` as
an argument to xterm. Obviously xterm doesn't know what to do with that
and exits because it got a bad command-line option.

Is there some way of telling the panel that I want this command
executed via normal shell expansion? How can I get a panel item with
Command = "xterm `xtermbg`" to do The Right Thing?

Oh, I'm using Xfce 4.2.0 on FreeBSD with zsh.

--
David Olbersen