configuring Xfce defaults

Jason Keltz jas at cs.yorku.ca
Mon Feb 14 20:28:58 CET 2005

Hi.

I'm trying to configure the Xfce defaults for our system.  The way that
I figured best to do this would be to login, make the changes, and then
copy the changed files back from .config/xfce4 to sysdir/etc/xdg/xfce4.

When I ran Xfce the first time, it created ".config/xfce4" in my
account.  I configured the panel, the desktop menu, and the various
options the way that I wanted them to be for the default users on the
system.   I then copied these files to sysdir/etc/xdg/xfce4:

~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml
~/.config/xfce4/panel/contents.xml
~/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/xfwm4.xml
~/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/panel.xml

I then erased ".config" in my user account, and logged back in.

The desktop menu is the original default, and not the one that I copied.
  The same goes for the panel contents.  My xfwm4 settings worked, but
the settings for the panel did not!

When I do an strace on the startup for the files above, I see that
desktop/menu.xml is actually read from SYSDIR/etc/xdg/xfce4 (even though
I didn't get the defaults that are in that file).
SYSDIR/etc/xdg/xfce4/panel/contents.xml is never read.
SYSDIR/etc/xdg/xfce4/mcs_settings/xfwm4.xml is read, and I get the
default settings.  On the other hand,
SYSDIR/etc/xdg/xfce4/mcs_settings/panel.xml is never read.

Any ideas? Am I not setting the system-wide defaults the correct way?

Jason.