Focus bug or feature?

Olivier FOURDAN fourdan.olivier at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 11 13:01:10 CET 2005

Hi

[...]

> However I do have some focus problems that appear sometimes. I haven't been
> able to find a pattern to make them systematically happen so I can't really
> fill up a bug form. I guess I saw these (minor) problems mostly when using a
> browser such as Firefox or Netscape. Then, I just can't get the focus to an
> input text field (I can't input anything in that text field, actually) unless
> I move the window (browser) a bit around or I click another window, then back
> to my initial text field.

The application is responsible for focusing its subwindows. The window manager notifies the top level window and the application then sets focus where needed. The WM won't set the focus to text fileds.

> Also, sometimes - this is pretty rare though - I just can't use my current
> workspace (can't get the focus on anything, all windows are like frozen,
> including the panel) until I change workspace using the short cut [Ctrl][Alt]
> [->] and go back to the initial one.

Sounds like one of the apps grabs the keyboard and mouse, but w/out any additional information, I can't help.

Cheers,
Olivier.