Focus bug or feature?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Feb 10 21:49:06 CET 2005

Xavier,

Please try this version first:

http://www.xfce.org/~olivier/preview/xfwm4-4.2.CVS20050210.tar.gz

> 	I have some strange behaviour when changing window focus using keyboard shorcut
> (Alt+Tab) or lowering windows.

When reporting focus problem, please always mention what your settings
are:

- Do you use "click to focus" or "focus follow mouse"?
- Do you have "focus newly created windows" enabled?
- Do you have "raise on focus" enabled? If so, did you set a high or low
timeout?
- Do you have "raise on click" enabled?

> 	Situation 1:
>
> 	I am working with 'nedit' (the most lightweight and full-featured text editor
> I've seen). I open a Find window (Ctrl+F) and insert some text, which is find by
> nedit. I do Alt+Tab to change focus to nedit, and I change text. But when I try
> some nedit shorcuts, they do no work. If I try to save (Ctrl+S) it introduce
> some estrange codes to text, and if I try Ctrl+F again, the find window does
> not appear. To solve this problems, I have to change window focus using mouse.

It's a bit odd, I'm using NEdit myself and I don't see these problems.
The Ctrl+S issue reminds me of an old bug in NEdit when dealing with
modifiers such as Caps-Lock, Num-Lock or even Scroll-Lock. Make sure you
have all modifiers disabled on your keyboard.

> 	I have Firefox on the lower window stack. It is partially overlapped by a
> 'xfce-note', and it is again partially overlapped by a rxvt terminal. If I
> click note (Firefox loses the focus) and place the mouse above the area where
> note overlaps Firefox and I do Ctrl+NextPage (my xfce shorcut for lowering
> windows) the result is that Firefox gets raised ! (I know it is raised and note
> not lowered because Firefox appears above rxvt).

The window manager will try to focus the window that is decorated (the
"note" window is not, so it will left out). And once focused, in focus
follow mouse, it will raise the window automatically. I don't know what
focus model you use, but that could be what you see here.

> 	Talking about shorcuts, I would also like to request an enhancement for xfce
> 4.3 version. Actually we can define our keyboard shorcuts to manage windows.
> Would it be possible to include in these shorcuts some mouse buttons? That is,
> now i can define the Ctrl+NextPage shorcut to lower windows. Could it be
> possible to define it as Ctrl+Button3? Actually this behaviour is defined by
> Ctrl+Button2, but it cannot be changed by user.

That used to be my plan, but I'm not too sure now. The more I think of
it, the more I believe it's better to keep sane defaults for such
settings.

Cheers,
Olivier.