Fonts in Java based application in Xfce [solved]

jan goplay at quick.cz
Thu Feb 10 10:01:34 CET 2005

Few days ago I posted following problem

== The problem ==
In work i'm using one Java based application. If i'm using it from
Windows - fonts have appropriate size. However, while using it from
within Linux - the application, fonts appears to be very small. (Yes, I
do have Microsoft fonts installed.)

I got surprised when I upgraded to Xorg 6.8 the fonts in mentioned
application got bigger, and I could stay with Linux and Xfce :) and
work.

Today, I gave back external monitor to one of my colleagues and fonts in
mentioned application got small again .....

I tried to play with:
/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc and chnge Xft.dpi: 96 to other value but it
affects only GTK based applications.

== Solution ==
The solution which worked for me was to add the "display size" line to xorg.conf to section Monitor:

Section "Monitor"

# The identifier line must be present.
    Identifier  "Generic Monitor"

        DisplaySize  290 210