Gnome menus in Xfce4.2?

Jan Bakuwel jan.bakuwel at int.greenpeace.org
Wed Feb 9 23:14:54 CET 2005

Hoi Andrew,

> Yes, but what's in /usr/share/applications?  There could be .desktop
> files there and that would explain the duplicates.

Well, I'm not so much worried about the duplicates although it shouldn't
be like that of course ;-)

I'm more worried about not finding a way to make Xfce4 display the
menu's as one would expect. There are many files in
/usr/share/applications (see below); however I can't make the
correlation between those .desktop files and what I actually see in
Xfce4 (something quite different). Having said that, there's a reference
to /usr/share/gnome/apps in /etc/xdg/menus/xfce4.menu; what I don't get
is why it does show two out of 4 menus...

It is true that CrossOver Office was installed after Xfce4 was installed
and Kylix 3 before Xfce4 was installed. I could of course try to see if
a reinstallation of Xfce4 make a difference, however it's also good to
see if I can learn how these menus have been put together.

Anyway, if you do have an idea, I'd more than happy to hear it... :-)

cheers 'n thanks for your help,
Jan

These are the files in /usr/share/applications:

myrw:/usr/share/applications# ls
Terminal.desktop                ooo645draw.desktop
Xfbook.desktop                  ooo645impress.desktop
Xfdiff.desktop                  ooo645math.desktop
Xffm.desktop                    ooo645printeradmin.desktop
Xffstab.desktop                 ooo645template.desktop
Xfglob.desktop                  ooo645web.desktop
Xfmime_edit.desktop             ooo645writer.desktop
Xfsamba.desktop                 reclevel.desktop
Xftree.desktop                  screensaver-properties.desktop
boot.desktop                    themus-theme-applier.desktop
bug-buddy-core.desktop          time.desktop
bug-buddy.desktop               users.desktop
eog.desktop                     vumeter.desktop
gdmflexiserver-xnest.desktop    xfcalendar.desktop
gdmflexiserver.desktop          xfce-backdrop-settings.desktop
gdmsetup.desktop                xfce-display-settings.desktop
gedit.desktop                   xfce-filemanager-settings.desktop
gimp-2.2.desktop                xfce-iconbox-settings.desktop
gksu.desktop                    xfce-keyboard-settings.desktop
gksuexec.desktop                xfce-menueditor.desktop
gnome-cd.desktop                xfce-mixer-settings.desktop
gnome-font-viewer.desktop       xfce-mouse-settings.desktop
gnome-sound-recorder.desktop    xfce-panel-settings.desktop
gnome-system-monitor.desktop    xfce-session-settings.desktop
gnome-terminal.desktop          xfce-settings-manager.desktop
gnome-volume-control.desktop    xfce-splash-settings.desktop
gnomecc.desktop                 xfce-taskbar-settings.desktop
leafpad.desktop                 xfce-ui-settings.desktop
mimeinfo.cache                  xfce-wm-settings.desktop
mozilla-firefox.desktop         xfce-workspaces-settings.desktop
mozilla-thunderbird-pm.desktop  xfce-xfcalendar-settings.desktop
mozilla-thunderbird.desktop     xfce-xfprint-settings.desktop
nautilus-computer.desktop       xfce4-appfinder.desktop
nautilus-home.desktop           xfld-xnetcardconfig.desktop
nautilus.desktop                xfmedia.desktop
network-scheme.desktop          xfprint-manager.desktop
network.desktop                 xfprint.desktop
ooo645calc.desktop              yelp.desktop
myrw:/usr/share/applications#

--

"It is an illusion to think that we are free to apply our increasing
knowledge in any way we choose. In reality we are struggling to deal

Information, Communication, Technology
Greenpeace International
Ottho Heldringstraat 5
1066 AZ  AMSTERDAM
Netherlands (MET)

direct    +31 (0)20 7182084
fax       +31 (0)20 5148151
reception +31 (0)20 5148150
email     jan.bakuwel&int.greenpeace.org
private   jan.bakuwel&hccnet.nl
(replace & by @ in the emailaddress)