Random Problems opening Matlab (Java based GUI)

Xavier Otazu xotazu at cvc.uab.es
Mon Feb 7 12:20:54 CET 2005

	Hi!

	This is a problem I suffered with xfce 4.0, but it reamins in xfce 4.2

	When I try to open Matlab 7.0 R14, it randomly hungs.

	If I start xfce session and immmdiately tries to open Matlab, it starts without
problem. Sometimes, after opening some other programs (for example, nedit), I
cannot open Matlab because it hungs just after splash screen, and workspace
window does not appear (I try to start it without splash screen, but workspace
never appears). I cannot kill Matlab process with Ctrl+C on the terminal I
opened Matlab, but I have to explicitly kill the PID. The only way to solve this
problem, is to close xfce session and restart it.

	This problem never appeared on KDE. In fact, when this problem appear on xfce,
I open a parallel KDE session, and Matlab works properly on KDE but not on XFCE.

	I think it is a xfce (i.e. xfwm or other daemon) problem. Matlab GUI is
coded in Java.

cheers!

Xavier