Problem after upgrading X

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 16:56:57 CET 2005

When I installed a new version of X (or something like that, I don't
know exactly. I performed a full system upgrade, so 188 packages were
upgraded), it asked if it should replace the file Xsession with a new
one, as it saw that it had been altered. I chose yes, because I myself
had tried to start a session manager by adding a command in it (didn't
work, and I dunno what to do. I'm a linux n00b). Then it asked about
another file, which I knew I hadn't altered. I didn't allow it to
replace it, because xfce had probably altered it. When I then tried to
start xfce, I couldn't log in as a normal user. After a few seconds I
got a black screen, and after that it took me back to the login
prompt. Logging in as root worked perfectly.

Any idea what may be wrong?

I'm using debian 3.1 and xfce 4.0.6 (the newest available as a debian package).

Regards, Alexander Toresson