Locking the screen

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Sat Dec 24 19:23:22 CET 2005

EC wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:45:41 +0000
> Peter Humphrey <prh at gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>That seems like an awful lot of overkill just to blank the screen. Even
>>specifying 'USE="-jpeg -nls -opengl" emerge -pv xscreensaver' only omits
>>gle. Is there a lighter way to blank the screen?
>

> It's not that bad, xscreensaver has some wide-ranging capabilities.
> But if you have no interest in fancy gl screen savers or the like look
> at xlock (more) as was previously suggested.
> http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=x11-misc;name=xlockmore
>
> It does not have the client-server model of xscreensaver, just run
> xlock and your screen will be password locked.

Don't forget about xautolock.  It is what you can use to provide
automatic locking after an elapsed time or by resting your mouse pointer
in a corner.  I believe it uses Xresources like xlockmore, so you'll
already be ready.

Matt

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/