xfterm4 bug?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Dec 12 20:20:18 CET 2005

** Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> [2005-12-12 18:26]:
> On 12/12/05, Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/12/05, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
> > > ** Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> [2005-12-12 17:35]:

> > > ** end quote [Alexander Toresson]
> > >
> > > Hmm, the first time I went round this loop (when I switched from xterm
> > > to xfterm4) I decided that, having followed the script through to other
> > > scripts and various environment variables and settings it was xfterm4
> > > was using xterm and wrapping things round it.
> > >
> > > This time round I've come to a different conclusion! After a very, very
> > > careful trace through and experiments with the TERMCMD setting I've
> > > concluded that xfterm4 is actually running Terminal, and this is doing
> > > all the fancy bits.
> > >
> > > So it looks to be the wrong question, but possibly the right list.
> > > Having checked the information on Terminal it is still part of XFCE4:
> > >
> > > ====
> > > Terminal 0.2.4 (Xfce 4.2.3.2)
> > >
> > > Copyright (c) 2003-2005
> > > os-cillation e.K. All rights reserved.
> > >
> > > Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny at xfce.org>.
> > >
> > > Built with Gtk+-2.6.2, running with Gtk+-2.6.10.
> > >
> > > Please report bugs to <http://bugs.os-cillation.com/>.
> > > ====
> > >
> > > Sadly the reference web address doesn't appear to exist, so a quick trip
> > > to the www. address takes me through to BerliOS to set up an account
> > > (which I am sorting at the moment). Terminal doesn't appear to be listed
> > > when viewing the bug list though, so where I'll get to after the account
> > > is set up I've no idea!
> >
> > The correct place to report bugs against terminal is
> > http://bugzilla.xfce.org/ (afaik).
>
> You could also be running xfce4-terminal.  The big difference I've
> noticed between them is that Terminal has a full-fledged preferences
> window (e.g. you can change the keyboard shortcuts) whereas
> xfce4-terminal just has a few options.  Both are accessible by
> right-clicking in the terminal window.
>
> As for Backspace, I've heard of this.  Are you using screen?
> Regardless, I bet you can find some non-random bits that match this
> somewhere out there....  Maybe you could even find some on the
> bugzilla. :)
** end quote [Andrew Conkling]

Aha, yes, that's the cause of the problem, screen not irssi. Terminal
and xfce4-terminal look to be one and the same thing though. I'll have
to take a look through bugzilla before reporting it. If you look at the
os-cillation page that hosts Terminal it takes you to the BerliOS bug
tracking system though - a bit confusing!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com