xfterm4 bug?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Dec 12 19:04:15 CET 2005

** Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> [2005-12-12 17:35]:
> On 12/12/05, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
> > ** Net Llama! <netllama at linux-sxs.org> [2005-12-12 16:54]:
> > >
> > > xfterm4 = xterm
> > >
> > > So unless you've set something specific to change that, whatever issue
> > > you're experiencing is an xterm issue.  At any rate, there is no xfterm4
> > > binary, just a shell script.
> > ** end quote [Net Llama!]
> >
> > True it is a script, but it is doing more than just starting xterm. I
> > have no problems with a raw xterm. The xfterm4 script adds tab
> > capabilities and a menu with configuration options amongst other things,
> > so something in there is causing the issue. I've not had the chance to
> > investigate and just wondered whether anyone else had seen the problem.
> > This is not an xterm issue since the same command line with xterm
> > instead of xfterm4 works fine.
> >

> This is a bug in the terminal that xfterm4 starts, not xfterm4. Please
> try to interpret the script and see what terminal it's starting.
** end quote [Alexander Toresson]

Hmm, the first time I went round this loop (when I switched from xterm
to xfterm4) I decided that, having followed the script through to other
scripts and various environment variables and settings it was xfterm4
was using xterm and wrapping things round it.

This time round I've come to a different conclusion! After a very, very
careful trace through and experiments with the TERMCMD setting I've
concluded that xfterm4 is actually running Terminal, and this is doing
all the fancy bits.

So it looks to be the wrong question, but possibly the right list.
Having checked the information on Terminal it is still part of XFCE4:

====
Terminal 0.2.4 (Xfce 4.2.3.2)

Copyright (c) 2003-2005
os-cillation e.K. All rights reserved.

Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny at xfce.org>.

Built with Gtk+-2.6.2, running with Gtk+-2.6.10.

Please report bugs to <http://bugs.os-cillation.com/>.
====

Sadly the reference web address doesn't appear to exist, so a quick trip
to the www. address takes me through to BerliOS to set up an account
(which I am sorting at the moment). Terminal doesn't appear to be listed
when viewing the bug list though, so where I'll get to after the account
is set up I've no idea!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com