xfmedia and utf-8

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:36:46 CET 2005

On 12/8/05, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to make xfmedia recognize utf-8 characters in the
> playlists? I have problems with Russian and Romanian characters.
> French ones appear to show up well. And which is the default encoding
> for xfmedia? As it does not seem to be ISO-8859-1.

I can't look ATM, but I'm pretty sure that xfmedia (being a GTK+ app)
will pick up your locale set in the LANG and LC_* environment
variables.  If your locale is set to a UTF one (e.g. en_US.utf8), and
the files in question support unicode data (Vorbis comments do), you
should be good to go.  If, however, you have MP3s, the situation is
trickier than that.  Google could tell you more than I about that
scenario.

Either way, I've found EasyTAG to be very good at helping me get the
files' metadata in order.

HTH,
Andrew

--