Saving panel settings

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Apr 22 16:04:34 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 12:40 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:09:29AM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> >
> > That would cover my needs. Is this the same action as is taken when you
> > right click on the panel and choose the Restart option from the menu? If
> > so then I'm covered without having to resort to the CLI - much as I like
> > using the CLI for many things, opening it up for a quick command is not
> > so appealing! That said it's probably not too difficult to create a
> > button to do the job for me :)
> >
> It is exactly the same.

Yes, thanks for that, although I've also just confirmed it the hard way!

It seems as though the memory hog is Evolution, although for some
strange reason closing Mozilla allows Evolution to reduce its memory
footprint! My only guess on this is that when following a link from an
email it holds some memory allocated until the browser is closed,
although this is pure guesswork and would seem an odd way to code. It's
a shame X gets taken out with it though. Memory usage just prior to the
last failure put X at around 5% with Mozilla at just under 10%. When you
took all the related processes into consideration Evolution was eating
up about 67% of my 512M - 63% down to the evolution process with a few
related ones eating up the rest. So that takes it to 82% without
considering shell based IRC or any other apps and processes. I think it
must have been the screensaver kicking in that killed it this time!

Still, my panel settings were safe, so I can sort out the rest without
having to redo them now. I may try another 512M or so of RAM out of
curiosity, but I'd like to catch the root cause of the problem - this
isn't Windows after all ;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/