Saving panel settings

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Apr 22 00:35:45 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 22:00 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 16:30 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > I may be jumping the gun a bit and missing the obvious (probably am but
> > my brain is full of cotton wool at the moment!), so apologies if this is
> > asking someone to state the obvious, but is there a way of saving the
> > changes of the XFCE panel without a full close and restart of XFCE -
> > I've not found a save settings option yet or similar. I've just tried a
> > restart of the panel, which may do it, but I'm not in a position to
> > simulate a lockup and see if everything has been saved at the moment :)
> >
> > As an aside to this I'll mention that my lockups seem to leave the XFCE
> > screen in video memory post X being killed. This looks to be due to
> > memory topping out (512M), which in turn comes down to applications not
> > releasing it back (I think). Mozilla and Firefox seem to be the biggest
> > culprits here, but Evolution weighs in pretty high as well. I'm fine if
> > I close and restart them periodically (once a day or every other day
> > ish). Both memory and hard disks have been fully tested and show now
> > sign of failing, so it must be a configuration or memory leak issue!
> >
> Hi,
>
> The panel saves its configuration autoatically, why would you like to
> "force" a save?

Because in each of my recent crashes (forced reboots from a remote
console) I've lost the changes I've made to it in spite of them having
been in use for at least half a day. The last but one set of changes I
secured by changing and then logging out and restarting XFCE, but the
last lot I forgot to do that with. I think it lasted a day or two before
the memory usage topped out and X was killed, but the panel changes were
lost again.

> Regarding memory leaks, it can be a leak in the X server or in the
> application, but Xfce won't cause leaks in other applications (ie if
> Mozilla leaks, Xfce is not the culprit)

I wasn't actually blaming XFCE. I can watch the memory usage drop away
when I close Mozilla, Firefox or Evolution (being the primary culprits).
Sadly with the browsers closing windows doesn't help and the memory
usage barely drops. There's no equivalent for Evolution so I can't test
that, although it has just plain vanished on me a couple of times today
- probably a glitch in the latest Debian unstable release! This problem
has been going on for a few months now, but seems to be getting worse.
I've fully tested the drives and memory otherwise I'd be thinking
hardware.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/