xsession-errors : critical GTK errors

Thu Apr 14 04:22:30 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Kristy Christie wrote:
>
>>I'm running XFCE 4.2.1 and recently, I've been having some really
>>annoying problems..
>>
>>Xorg or either XFCE will randomly lock-up on me and the only thing I can
>>do is press the reboot button on my CPU.
>

> Assuming you're talking about an entire-GUI freeze (as in, you can't
> even see the mouse moving when you move it), my first guess would be a
> video driver problem.
>

>>After locking-up, sometimes the mouse works but most of the time, it
>>doesn't.
>

> Do you mean after the reboot, or before?  If before, I partially take
> back what I just said (but not really).
>

>>I've been trying to figure out what causes these lock-ups and one of the
>>errors I've spotted in .xsession-errors is:
>>
>>    (xfce4-panel:8083): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_add: assertion
>>`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>

> I've seen this occasionally too; I'm relatively sure it's harmless
>

>>    *** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
>

> This is a bug in librsvg; harmless.
>

>>    (xfdesktop:8081): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_insert: assertion
>>`hash_table != NULL' failed
>>    (xfce4-panel:8083): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_insert: assertion
>>`hash_table != NULL' failed
>

> These are both from the desktop menu code (from the latter, I assume
> you're using the Xfce Menu plugin for the panel); again, harmless.
>

>>Does anyone know wht is causing this? I've been googling but can't seem
>>to find the cause.
>>
>>P.S: If it makes any difference, the lock-ups started happening after I
>>changed my gfx card from an S3 Virge to an nVidia GeForce2.. I don't
>>know if it was just "co-incidental" timing :)
>

> I'm strongly feeling that this is a video driver problem.  Are you using
> the open-source nv driver, or the binary/proprietary nvidia driver?
> Whichever you're using, trying the other one might help in figuring out
> where the problem lies.
>
> 	-brian

I agree with Brian here.

Any chance that you are running any of the 3D GL screen savers on your box?

If so, disable them (ie. use non GL screen savers or just a blank screen
which I do) and see if that resolves that problem.

There is an issue still with the current nVidia driver (7174) to my
knowledge with seems to trigger a hard lock when the GL screen savers
are used.

You might want to check the nVidia forums at:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

to get a sense of the current status and/or post your problem there.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz