xsession-errors : critical GTK errors

Kristy Christie kristy at isp7.net
Thu Apr 14 03:52:04 CEST 2005

I'm running XFCE 4.2.1 and recently, I've been having some really
annoying problems..

Xorg or either XFCE will randomly lock-up on me and the only thing I can
do is press the reboot button on my CPU.

After locking-up, sometimes the mouse works but most of the time, it
doesn't.

I've been trying to figure out what causes these lock-ups and one of the
errors I've spotted in .xsession-errors is:

    (xfce4-panel:8083): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_add: assertion
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    *** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
    (xfdesktop:8081): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_insert: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed
    (xfce4-panel:8083): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_insert: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed

Does anyone know wht is causing this? I've been googling but can't seem
to find the cause.

Thanks,
Kristy

P.S: If it makes any difference, the lock-ups started happening after I
changed my gfx card from an S3 Virge to an nVidia GeForce2.. I don't
know if it was just "co-incidental" timing :)