Month names in panel

Thu Apr 14 02:43:10 CEST 2005

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:35:02 -0700
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>

>>Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>
>>>What do I have to do to replace the month number with the month name
>>>in the Date & Time plugin to the Panel? I've tried all the
>>>invocations I can think of, to no avail.
>>
>>I don't know offhand, but the man page for 'strftime' should have the
>>answer.
>

> Indeed it does, but I've no idea how I might have found my way to that
> man page on my own. Thanks.

One possibility would be to use 'apropos' which searches the 'whatis'
database for keywords. Now you can only use one keyword, so something like:

$ apropos date

returns a _bunch_ of stuff, which includes:

strftime             (3)  - format date and time

By using something like:

$ apropos date | grep format

this filters the returned volume down to a managable amount and would
correspond to a boolean search with two keywords.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz