Minimising system compiling time

Buck xfce at fatcat.ru
Tue Apr 5 19:03:58 CEST 2005

Why not just run the compiling stuff in a text console? I don't know
for sure about Linux (but I suppose it's still the same), but in
FreeBSD you can press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2, F3...) and bring different
ttys which switch from the graphical X mode to text mode. So it will
happily compile without bothering your screen at all. In FBSD it's
described in /etc/ttys, and the 8th console (Ctrl-Alt-F9 I think is
reserved for X itself).

--
Best regards,
 Buck                            mailto:xfce at fatcat.ru