Linux-based HP Thin Client With XFce 4

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Sep 29 18:05:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 11:55 -0400, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> 040929 Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 05:10, Bob Snyder wrote:
> >> Olivier, are HP's enhancements going to be made available to the masses?
> > I don't think so, it is not planned.
>
> isn't there the small matter of the GPL ... (raises eyebrows)?

if they have modified xfce4/xfce-mcs-plugins to include more plugins
they it's a direct modification of GPLv2 code (which is the license of
xfce-mcs-plugins).

if they haven't then you would end up in the case of kernel modules,
where interoperability might 100% strictly technically be "derivative"
but anyone with a code spec could write a plugin without knowing
anything about xfce4-mcs-managerlibxfce4mcs (also GPLv2 actually). This
would be sort of unenforcable and the kernel developers wisely have not
gone that path (yet).

just to complement the whole view !

sofar