xfce3 panel font - which one?

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Sun Sep 26 16:51:08 CEST 2004

Hi,

Hoping somebody is still using XFce 3, I'd like to ask which font is
used for the panel. What is default, is it configurable?

I've always thought it can be set in Setup->XFce->Font style, but
apparently it is not working like that, at least in my environment,
which is Fedora Core 2 Linux, xfce-3.8.18-1. Same thing happens
in FC1, however.

No matter what I put into "Font style" config item, I am getting
an ugly rendered "arial" font in the panel (workspace names, taskbar and
all panel's popup windows). If I remove Windoze TT fonts from my
/etc/X11/fs/config file, I get another font in the panel which I am
unable to recognize, but surely it is not the

  -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

font that is configured as "Font style" item. It looks like it is used
some poorly defined default font (with many '*' in its definition)
which is picked up "randomly" depending on the particular configuration
of xfs.

Other font-related configuration items (Setup->Windows->Title/Icon/Menu font)
are working as expected - I can change the font and/or size and I am
getting what I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

But please, do not tell me to switch to XFce4. I have tried, it has some
nice features but it differs from ver 3. in many ways that are (at least
for now) too far from my habits (e.g.: single key binding to do
'raise-or-lower' to a window, making selected apps' windows <xbiff,
xload, etc.> "NoTitle"). I am an old man :))

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND