Iconbox Purpose?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 12 17:08:32 CEST 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> as for the original question, what is the purpose of the icon box,
> those of us who use it see it as a much simpler alterative to the taskbar,
> which looks altogether too much like KDE or (worse) M$ .

Philip,

   I agree that the taskbar is rather useless -- for me. However, so is the
iconbox when an application has not been minimized.

   Perhaps I just don't get the underlying philosophy and design basis. Seems
to me that when I have the panel available both the taskbar and iconbox are
redundant. I prefer the panel. I move from app to app by chaning from one
virtual desktop to another. It is only when I have two similar applications
open on the same virtual desktop (e.g., LyX and OpenOffice.org Writer) that
I will minimize the one not being used at the moment. That's when I want the
icon of the minimized application off to one side. Otherwise, it's
unnecessary clutter for me.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President