xfcalendar dependency

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Fri Sep 10 18:34:56 CEST 2004

Some time ago (probably on Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:47:15 -0500)
edscott <edscott at prodigy.net.mx> had occasion to say the following:
> El vie, 10-09-2004 a las 08:16, Andrew Conkling escribió:
> > In Gentoo, xfcalendar is listed as a dependency of xfce4.  This doesn't seem like what is posted on the installation guide online; is this right?  If it is, why?  If not, I will inquire to the ebuild authors as to why they put it there.
>
> The default startup of xfce opens the panel, taskbar and xfcalendar. I
> guess that's why.

And yet, unless one uses it, including xfcalendar in the default startup is unnecessary... unless, of course, there is another reason it is a dependency.  Can anyone confirm?