Cannot open firefox from link if it is already running

Fri Sep 3 19:14:35 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 10:43, Bob Snyder wrote:

<snip>

> My distro is an older Slackware that I've upgraded manually to the
> latest of most everything. gcc, glibc, gtk+2.4, etc. Firefox was
> installed with the new installer.
>
> When I click on a link in an email, for example, firefox opens a new
> tab, but the URL displayed is like this: file:///tmp/0qgcwitz-1.html.
> Firefox has copied the whole page to my /tmp, and opened it from there.
> Obviously the relative links don't work, but the absolute links do.
>
> Does anyone else observe this behavior?
>
> Sorry, this has gotten kind of off-topic.
>
> Bob S.

Bob, no particular issues come to mind, but some ("grasping at straws")
thoughts:

1. Try to remove the current version of FF, download the installation
tarball from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and install that.
Perhaps there is a problem with your current installation.

2. Do you have any kind of proxy/cache set up that would result in this
behavior?

3. From your e-mail headers, it looks like you are using Thunderbird as
your e-mail client. You might want to take the same approach with
Thunderbird as I mention for Firefox in number 1 above
(http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/).

Conceivably there is some configuration option that is not set properly
resulting in improper interaction between TB and FF.

You might also want to post a query to the Moz Forums at:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

HTH,

Marc