Two system trays on the same desktop = troubles

Gianluca Turconi luctur at comeg.it
Fri Oct 22 15:23:33 CEST 2004

Hi,

I usually keep the system tray in the panel since I don't use the
taskbar. Yesterday I launched xfce-taskbar4 from Xfce 4.2 Beta 1 just to
see how it worked and a pop up message appeared claiming 2 system trays
were active. That was true, but the taskbar died at once without further
notice.

I was so lazy that I didn't remove the system tray from the panel and
re-launched the taskbar.

Today, I've used Liferea, a GTK2 rss reader, that puts an icon in the
system tray. Well, that icon wasn't there.

I've investigated and found no other application was able to use the
system tray in the panel.

Then, I've discovered that the taskbar was graphically died, but it was
still running in the backgroud when I exited Xfce, so the session
manager restarted it, always in background, in the next session without
any error message. This thing forced me to kill the taskbar manually in
a shell.

So there have been several strange behavior of Xfce in this mini
adventure:

a) the taskbar graphically died,  but it stayed active in the background
b) it was restarted in the next session, in background, without any
warning about the double system trays
c) I haven't found no way to see what the session manager restarts in a
new session without opening a shell and using top. I remember in the
previous version of the session manager there was a clean window where I
was be able to kill session aware application. It was so useful!

Just some ideas taken from a normal day of work with Xfce... :)

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lo zoppo Androclide, spartano, avrebbe risposto a chi gli chiedeva di
quale utilità potesse essere un soldato menomato: "Non fa per voi gente