keyboard layout problems

gettingout gettingout at linux.it
Tue Oct 19 13:56:14 CEST 2004

Good afternoon.

I have a problem with keyboard layout using xfce4. I've searched inside
the settings manager without results. I've used google to search inside
the ML archive and on the web but with no results.

I can't type any character that is combining with the ALT-GR key (like
@#). I can do it in console tty1,2,.. and inside xterm but I can't do it
inside thunderbird, mozilla, gvim, xfce-notes (for example). In all
graphic programs (except xterm) I can't use the alt-gr key.

Before doing some operations I canned not (is it right english?) use it
nor in tty1 nor in xterm. To use in tty1 it was ok only using the
dpkg-reconfigure console-data and selecting the
pc/querty/italian/standard/strandard keyboard.

To make it work under xterm I had to make the file /etc/X11/Xmodmap with
inside a line like this
	keycode 113 = ISO_Level3_Shift
and now it work in xterm too.
Unfortunly it's not running in others graphic application.

I'm using debian sarge, with kernel 2.6.3, xfree 4.3, xfce4.0.6 all,
gdm, all debian packaged. Here are some other information

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
         Driver          "keyboard"
         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
         Option          "XkbLayout"     "it"
EndSection

thanks a lot