GarXfce4 for CVS?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 13 23:01:04 CEST 2004

On 10/13/04 13:57, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> Some time ago (probably on Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:54:40 -0700)
> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> had occasion to say the
> following:
>
> > Andrew Conkling wrote:
> >
> > >I really like the idea of Brian Tarricone's GarXfce4:
> > >http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/garxfce4/index.php.  However,
> > >I'd like to be able to install the latest CVS head this way; would
> > >that be possible?
> > >
> > i think so, but i have no idea how to do it.  happy hacking ^_^
>
> I'm more interested in hacking Gar (no offense Nikolas), but I couldn't
> figure it out. :-)  Brian, when you have time, could you describe how it
> does its work?  I couldn't find where it unzips the tarballs (that'd
> have to be removed to work with CVS) and there are a lot more files
> there than are described in the README.  I couldn't make much sense of
> them, since I'm (apparently) a novice!

i'm not really sure that it's really intended that you can install from
CVS using it; i think that was added on as an afterthought.  actually, i'm
not even 100% sure it can be done: i'm only basing this on the fact that
the original GARNOME config file had a variable that held the CVS root.
i didn't really see how to enable it or make it work, nor did i see a
mechanism for doing the actual CVS stuff.

anyway, all the work is done inside the individual directories that
correspond to the packages.  for an example, go into lib/libxfce4util and
type 'make'.  after it's done, poke around in that directory.  it's
somewhat self explanatory.

i don't really claim to know how it works.  i just learned enough about it
to modify the packages it downloads and builds.

personally, i'd like to see installers move toward something like benny's
installer, though it would be nice if it had CVS download capabilities.  i
don't plan on putting any more effort into garxfce4 other than updating it
as new versions of the packages become available.

	-brian