Multi-head vs. panel config

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Fri Oct 8 08:48:42 CEST 2004

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> A quick question on this subject:
>
> I have the latest CVS version installed, which includes the fix
> referenced in this thread.
>
> Running in non-xinerama dual display mode, I can run two panels, one on
> each display. The panel on the second display initially comes up as the
> default xfce panel configuration.
>
> However, when I restart x, I lose my original configuration on my first
> display and both displays show the default configuration. My
> contents.xml is overwritten by the default file.

I don't see that problem here.  I have a contents.xml and a
contents.xml.1 file.  They are retained across restarts.  I use
the session manager (no customized .xinitrc file).

> Am I doing something wrong relative to being able to maintain two
> different panel configurations? There seems to be only one contents.xml
> file being maintained. Is there an argument to xfce4-panel that I need
> to be using or a different configure option?

That was the case before the recent fix.  Are you sure you picked
up and installed a new version of the panel?

> I tried this in xinerama mode and curiously, I cannot run two instances
> of xfce4-panel in that mode.

That's to be expected; I think in Xinerama mode you effectively
have only one screen, even though it is split across two monitors.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA