key binding problem

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Tue Oct 5 22:00:27 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am trying XFce4 (upgrading from ver. 3). I already know there is no
way to get "raise/lower window" on the same key. But now I got into
another problem.

One of my machines is running Fedora Core 2
(xorg-x11-6.7.0-5, XFce4 4.0.5)
I put:

  raise_window_key=Super_L
  lower_window_key=Shift+Super_L

into ~/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/keythemerc (Super_L is the left Windoze
key) and it works fine.

Another machine is FC1 (XFree86-4.3.0-55, XFce4 4.0.4)

The same config as above is working only partially - shifted key lowers a
window, but the key without modifier does nothing.

I tried to experiment with "xmodmap", binding the Windows key to other
keysyms (e.g. F13). Similar effect - the binding does not work if there
is no modifier in the definition. Also, changing the "lower_window_key"
definition to another key (like Super_R) did not help (if it was only
Super_R, w/o any modifier, lowering did not work either).

Any idea what can cause the difference? Is it XFce or X11 related problem?

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND