Latest Fedora Xorg and the compositor

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Tue Oct 5 21:31:34 CEST 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 12:53 +0200, Nikolas Arend wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the reply, but
>>
>>1. I don't have a NVidia card :-(
>>2. I did read the COMPOSITOR file (and all the others ;-)
>>3. Unfortunately you didn't answer my actual question about how to
>>    configure the desktop look'n'feel using the compositor ;-)
>>
>>If your time permits, I'd appreciate a short post on that.
>>

>The compositor is inherently slow unless hw accelerated, because the
>screen is rendered off screen, within a pixmap and copied on screen
>afterwards (thus the name, compositor -I think- as the screen is
>composed).
>
>I don't have any simple answer to your problem. All I can say is that I
>run the compositor on my PIII 1.1GHz laptop with a Trident video card
>(ie it's not a very fast computer) by disabling opaque move/resize.
>
>Making the shadow optional wouldn't help much. From my own testing, that
>doesn't speed up things that much...

Thanks for getting back,

although my main question was not about speed, I will check the hardware
acceleration of my card (ATI Radeon).
I understand from your mail that the compositor is not actually
configurable itself but only sort of a link between X and the desktop/
window manager in the sense of "composing" what features X is providing.
So to change the look'n'feel of the desktop (transparencies,
shadows, support for accessibility applications, etc) I would have to
modify the X server settings, is that correct? Or do the applications
must make use of and support the new xorg features natively (and if they
don't I won't see those)?

Nick.