substitution in launcher command

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 1 09:48:20 CEST 2004

Lloyd Hazlett wrote:

> Not sure if this is a bug or if there is a really obvious reason why
> it shouldn't work, but substitutions are ignored in the command for a
> launcher on the panel. I'm trying to do this:
> rdesktop -u $USER ... so that my poor users are spared from having to
> enter their username again.
>
> Is this possible?

the launchers don't launch a shell, and therefore don't interpolate
variables.  you could do one of two things.  put as the launcher command:
sh -c 'rdesktop -u $USER'
or, create a wrapper script:

#!/bin/sh
rdesktop -u $USER

and put the script in the launcher command instead.  i think the 4.2
panel will interpoplate shell variables (/me pokes jasper; if not, it
should).

    -brian