making the compositor work?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 00:33:52 CET 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:30:57 -0800, Net Llama! <netllama at linux-sxs.org> wrote:
> On 11/27/2004 01:05 PM, Andrew Conkling wrote:
>

> > Some time ago (probably on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:02:22 -0800)
> > "Net Llama!" <netllama at linux-sxs.org> had occasion to say the following:
> >

> >>I built xfwm4 (from RC1) with the compositor option, however i can't
> >>figure out how to make it work, in terms of transparency.  i added the
> >>
> >>relevant section to xorg.conf, and i'm seeing the drop shadows, but
> >>i'm more interested in transparency than shadows.  am i missing
> >>something?
> >

> > Sounds like you DO have it working. :P  The panel should be
> > semi-transparent, but only if you have certain combinations of options
> > selected.  Also, to set any windows transparent, you need (ATM)
> > transset, which is available from FD.O AFAIK.  (Google.)  There's no way
> > (yet) to apply transparency to a program on startup, but the panel
> > incorporates this already.
>
> Ahhh, ok.  I think the dox should mention the need for transset, since
> its not at all clear that this is a requirement.

Well, strictly speaking, transset isn't a requirement.

Composite and the compositing manager make transparency possible, but
it actually isn't used by anything but the panel. transset is a
program that sets a Window Manager hint, which currently forces a
window to be transparent. It's a toy, applications should enable
transparency on their own if the app wants to use it.

-Erik

> What combinations of options produce a semi-transparent panel?
>

> --

-Erik