making the compositor work?

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Sat Nov 27 22:05:23 CET 2004

Some time ago (probably on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:02:22 -0800)
"Net Llama!" <netllama at linux-sxs.org> had occasion to say the following:

> I built xfwm4 (from RC1) with the compositor option, however i can't
> figure out how to make it work, in terms of transparency.  i added the
>
> relevant section to xorg.conf, and i'm seeing the drop shadows, but
> i'm more interested in transparency than shadows.  am i missing
> something?

Sounds like you DO have it working. :P  The panel should be
semi-transparent, but only if you have certain combinations of options
selected.  Also, to set any windows transparent, you need (ATM)
transset, which is available from FD.O AFAIK.  (Google.)  There's no way
(yet) to apply transparency to a program on startup, but the panel
incorporates this already.

HTH,
Andrew