xfdesktop keeps dying

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sat Nov 27 16:49:48 CET 2004

>>Yes, I'm running 4.2RC1 which I installed with Benedikt's graphic installer.
>>
>>Here's the stack trace:
>>
>>Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
>>0x406bc9f2 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
>>(gdb) bt
>>#0  0x406bc9f2 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
>>#1  0x40590256 in ?? () from /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
>>#2  0x4058f6e0 in ?? () from /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
>>#3  0x4058fd91 in ?? () from /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
>>#4  0x4016cf23 in ?? () from /usr/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>>#5  0x804d5c5 in ?? ()
>>#6  0x405fe91e in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
>>(gdb)
>>

>hmm, unfortunately this isn't useful at all =/.  it might help to compile
>libxfce4util, libxfcegui4, and xfdesktop passing --enable-debug=yes to
>configure.  i'm not sure if benny's installer gives this as an option
>though.
>

>>Also, fwiw, while it's running, along with the other messages I listed
>>before, when running in gdb I also get lots of these:
>>
>>Error while reading shared library symbols:
>>Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.
>>

>hmm, not sure.  it probably just is telling you it can't read symbols
>out of the lib because they're stripped and/or don't have debugging info
>in them.  or something.

Argh... I have found that xfdesktop wasn't dying after all - it wasn't
in my session. It must have died the first time when I was playing
around with backdrop lists, and I'm still not sure what I did there to
kill it. Of course, once it's dead, it won't restart along with
everything else. It has to be running when you save the session at
shutdown. When I was running it from a terminal to capture all the error
messages, I always stopped the terminal before shutting down the
session. All those error messages led me to think it wasn't working when
all I had to do was right click on the desktop.

A good night's sleep is always one of the best problem solvers!

Brian, sorry to cry wolf.

George Garvey: Thanks for the info on the gdb version. Yes, my gdb is
pretty old.

Many thanks,

Bob S.