I've lost xfce!

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 11:44:57 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:54:15PM -0500, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:58:31 +0000, Chris Green <chris at areti.co.uk> wrote:
> > I installed the latest KDE last night as I needed the libraries for
> > running knoda.
> >
> > When I started up my system today I didn't get an xfce desktop, it's
> > defaulted to a twm one I think, certainly not kde.
> >
> > My .xinitrc file looks normal and the xfce executables are still on my
> > path so what happened?  Any ideas anyone?
>
> What distro are you running? Such behaviour is not unusual for, say, Slackware.

You're right, I'm using Slackware.

However doing a 'proper' upgrade to Slackware 10 (from 9.1) seems to
have resolved the problem, I now have my xfce desktop back.  I can only
surmise that upgrading a rather motley selection of KDE packages in my
Slackware 9.1 system had scrambled soemthing somewhere in the nether
regions of X startup.  Doing a full upgrade to 10 must have
unscrambled it somehow.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."