Logout command for XFCE4

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 24 19:37:31 CET 2004

On 11/24/04 08:16, Matt Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 02:03 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> > xsnow, xpenguins, xplanet, etc. are probably never going to work with
> > xfdesktop again.  that support is removed and won't be put back in
> > unless someone can come up with a non-crappy-hack way of doing it.
> > sorry =/
>
> So, that support is in 4.0.6, but not 4.2, right?  I was fooling around
> with xsnow a few days ago and was surprised to see it work.

on what xfce version?  yeah, this support is in 4.0.x, but not in the 4.2
betas/rc.  if xsnow is working with 4.2, it must be properly noticing that
there's a virtual root window.  xfdesktop sets a few other-DE properties
on the real root window (like NAUTILUS_DESKTOP_WINDOW_ID or whatever it is)
in an effort to allow some apps to find it, so it's certainly possible.

> Brian, since you know enough about this, can you take a look at my
> latest favorite eyecandy, xdesktopwaves (well, its manual):
>
> http://xdesktopwaves.sourceforge.net/manual.html
>
> Will the options they have allow it to work with 4.2?  They seem to
> default writing to a backdrop window on the root.

yeah, it looks like it might, but i can't say for sure without seeing how
it tries to discover the ID of the virtual root.  it mentions KDE, which
leads me to believe that it might not work, because i have no idea how
KDE advertises its virtual root window.  there doesn't appear to be an
explicit option to tell it a window ID though.  the -root option looks like
it's the only one that has a chance in working properly.  -backdrop will
probably work, but it'll obscure xfdesktop's root window, and the menu
won't work.  -wmbackdrop will likely have a similar effect, if it even
works at all (since xfdesktop already uses the extended WM hint for a
desktop window, so xfwm4 might either ignore a second one, or it might
end up stacking it behind xfdesktop's window.

so, essentially, give it a try; i'd be interested in knowing what you
find out.  if you have the time and a little knowledge of C, dig through
the code and see if you can figure out how it discovers the virtual root
window.  XGetWindowProperty would be the first function to grep for, most
likely.  if you're stuck and you can't get it to work, let me know and
i'll see if i have some time to dig into this a bit deeper.

	-brian