Xfce 4.2 - How to set panel layer?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Mon Nov 22 15:46:38 CET 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:21:23AM +1100, roger wrote:
> Sorry guys, I'm getting completely confused by what's being said.
>
> Since I updated from 4.0.6, I also lost the capability of setting the panel
> layer... however my panel now seems to be always on top!

Yes. The option is gone, the panel is now always on top.

Technical explanation: this is the result of setting the dock type window
manager hint, which in turn makes it possible to handle panel focus much
better.

> Besides I only seem to be able to set the panel to the bottom or right side of
> the screen (no  longer to the top or left side), though I still can set the
> popup position to any direction I wish.

You can only set it on the screen edge. If you drag it over the middle of the
screen (vertical or horizontal, depending on orientation) the panel will
switch sides.

> Does that mean that my setup is completely broken?

Nope, sounds exactly how it should be ;-)