Screen resolution with xorg and xfce4

Robert Marella marella at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 07:23:34 CET 2004

Hello

I have been using xfce4 for about 2 weeks. Got rid of gnome. I can't seem to lower the screen resolution. Any adjustments in xorg.conf seem to be ignored because it picks the highest available. In my case that is 1400x1050 and that makes for some very fine print on a 17 inch CRT.

I saw one thread posted that was a couple of years old that was successful adjusting the resolution with XFree86. When I had gnome running on this box It first came up as 1400x1050 but there is a screen resolution adjustment in the Desktop Preferences menu.

Is there any way that I could lower this with xfce4? It makes it hard on my old eyes.

TIA

Robert

P.S. My OS is FreeBSD 5.3 Stable and I have an ATI Radeon 9200SE AGP graphics card.