[Slightly OT] System sounds

Paul Bucalo pmbuc at spymac.com
Wed Nov 10 18:25:45 CET 2004

On Wed Nov 10  9:42 , Andrew Conkling <andrewski at fr.st> sent:

>When you have programs that are enhanced by some sound interaction (I'm
>thinking particularly of X-chat's sounds on PMs), what do you do?  I've
>looked for some system sound packages, but the few I found depended on
>certain WMs to be installed.  And there's NO reason to install anything
>next to xfwm... :D
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have used 'esound' to play sounds for programs like Sylpheed-claws under XFce.
It can be found here:

http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/download.html

I believe there needs to be some Enlightenment files installed as well, but the
site tells you where to get them.

It has worked well for me to run 'esd' as a start-up service, then set up the
program to make direct calls to the esound player (with corresponding sound file
name) for the event I wish to have sound for.

HTH,

Paul